Giovanni Roggero Riserva 2006
The wine estate stands on the slopes of the San Biagio hill in La Morra, one of the eleven villages forming the area where Barolo wine is produced.
The farm stretches out over 18 hectares (45 acres), and has belonged to the Roggero family for generations. Surrounded by splendid vineyards, it enjoys a spectacular panorama opening out onto the Langhe, a range of hills packed with history and castles. Old documents preserved in the village archives show that San Biagio hill was known of as far back as the Middle Ages. Indeed, the term Sancte Blaxius appears in a 1477 entry in the local land registry, when a Benedictine monastery (San Biagio Priory, 1050 AD) used to grow vines here. All the estate vineyards are part of the Great Vineyards of Barolo within the Commune of La Morra: with resolution no. 21 of 15 April 1994, the village council established the boundaries of the crus recognized as being prime sites for the growing of the Nebbiolo variety used to produce Barolo wine. - Extract from San Biagio's website